~The Barkers~

Aubrey, Marci, Leila, Lexi, & Liz

Friday, January 4, 2013

2012 in Review

I mentally blogged about 5 times since my last post. Unfortunately they don't just magically appear on my blog. And the down side to not making New Year resolutions public on the internet is that you can't remember where you tucked them away. We definitely have goals here at the Barker Residence and they will be documented (mine at least).

This year we:


Brought baby Liz into the picture on the 9th of April- My little bundle of joy was 5 pounds 13 ounces and helped me realize that 3 kids really is the back breaker just like everyone says. It is hard for me to spread myself out the right way but I'm learning. FYI- the baby isn't the hard part. I think it is the ages of my other two that make it difficult.


Put Lexi in Preschool with Leila- Lexi would live at Preschool if I let her. She always goes so easily and enjoys everything about it. Leila is the one that needs me to stay with her. They are different classes but do a ton of activities together so it's good.


Gave Chello away- This dog would have been the death of me (minus laundry). Our family is just not in the right stage for a dog and it's hard to take care of another living life on top of 3 kids 4 and under. He went to a good family that we will keep in touch with. I sure miss the luxury of not having to sweep my kitchen every day though.I know my life is hard. I think we'll get a dog later on when they ENTIRE family is ready to love the dog and give it the attention it needs.


Went off-trail hiking and camping in the Uintas- Aubrey prepared for this last summer by picking up running so he could be in shape to hike and he did a lot of it. He loves his new GPS and takes advantage of wandering off the trails.

Celebrating our 5 year anniversary- This is tied to the last one. We went off the trails and found a private place to camp and set up our tent. It was wonderful to be with just Aubrey out in nature. I did not like worrying about the kids and the fear in the back of my mind that some animal was going to get us. It was an anniversary well spent and we had a great time and plan to make many more trips up in that area.



Purchased a kayak- A kayak was the perfect addition to our summer equipment. We rented a kayak from Weber State (pictured below) a couple times and just decided to buy our own. We have used it so much and the kids love it too. It's not exactly the 5 year anniversary gift I was hoping for but it has been a great item to aid us in spending family time together.


Got a membership to the Ogden Athletic Club- This was completely Aubrey's idea! It has been nice to go to classes and take the kids swimming, however, the kids are not in the membership which means we can't use the day care so 90% of the time at the gym is spent alone while the other is at home with the kids. Bummer because we have so much fun together and Aubrey uses me as his "trainer" and I like it most of the time. Us working out together in a gym setting is something I never expected because Aubrey never exercised up until about a year ago and I've gotten so giddy the couple of times we have run side by side. : ) mmm I love him.

Found new renters for our basement apartment- Our last renters decided to switch schools and head up to Logan. We were lucky enough to score a great couple in our ward and didn't even have to list the apartment anywhere. We just keep getting better renters every time it becomes available!

Had Family Home Evening for 21 consecutive weeks- A while ago I made a family home evening chart and it's kept us on track with who is in charge of what. I am happy we got into the swing of things. Unfortunately the first week we didn't have it was Christmas Eve! We ate dinner with family and failed to plan a special night. The night was spent doing the better option but not the best.


Got my braces off- Yay! I was glad to get my braces off but my jaw issues are not cleared up as much as I hoped they would be. I can't complain about feeling good about my smile though!


This year we or I hope to:


FINALLY get the stupid master bathroom remodeled- I promise this project will get done! My daddy and I are going to Home Depot TOMORROW to buy everything we need and start putting it all together. I can't talk about it too much or I get overwhelmed. Baby steps is how it's going to happen.

Memorize the Doctrine and Covenants scripture mastery scriptures- I recently finished the Book of Mormon and it did it in 3 months. That was by far the fastest I have ever read it but it was so nice to retain what I was reading because I couldn't get enough of it. It was like a testimony meeting when I opened to read its pages and it doesn't include all the crying you get at a RS testimony meeting. Which I don't mind but you always know you are going to cry all night and who wants to cry all night? Anyway this year we are studying the Doctrine and Covenants and I would like to increase my knowledge and memory so that is my goal. I never took the time to memorize them in high school but I will do it this year! : )

Attend the temple monthly- Unfortunately this didn't happen last year but Aubrey and I are doing well so far because we went to the temple last night. It is hard because kids of course and our ward does the temple night on the night I teach my classes. This will happen even if we have to go separately. But seriously for as often as Aubrey's parents watch the kids one of those times needs to be for temple attendance. And just because the Ogden Temple is closed doesn't mean we can't get someone else.

Acquire new certifications in the fitness field and pick up more classes- This is always on my radar but lately I have wanted to really start getting out of my physical comfort zone and really challenge myself to teach something I have not yet. Plus I want to be needed, marketable, and knowledgeable.

Celebrate our monthiversary every month- Yes you caught it. Monthiversary is not really a word but it means Aubrey and I will celebrate our marriage on the 10th of every month since we were married on the 10th of August. We don't always make time to go out even though I would love it if we did. Our monthiversary is there to make sure we go out on at least one fun unique date a month if nothing else.

Have Family Home Evening every Monday night- I think we will be successful in this area since we are already in the habit and the girls really do like it. They grab their pillow pets and everyone is assigned a part of the night. AND I just found my huge binder of FHE lessons, activities, and ideas so I am fully armed! : )

Stay accident free- This may sound like a weird one but many times this year I have been so overwhelmed with gratitude because of the safety my family has had both physically and spiritually. I look around me with all of trials and burdens with family members, ward members, the community, and everyone in the news. I always had a thought that it will be my turn next since my family has not had to deal with any big issue. I do my best to help others in need and sometimes I feel like I am filling my lamp for when my times are hard. I have to work hard to push those thoughts from my mind and just hope for the best. And I keep reading/hearing about tragic things that can happen to anyone like the shootings and kids dying in freak accidents! I pray to my Father in Heaven that my family will always be safe! We have been ridiculously blessed and I can't count my blessings enough.

Make a significant difference- This year I felt like I made a huge difference for someone and it felt really good. I became closer to that person and that alone was enough of a reward. I try to help where I can. I am so blessed in many ways and I have covenanted to bare one anothers burdens so I want to help in the way the Lord wants me to help. This year I hope to do that for someone else if not more people.

Stay a ward missionary- I know I have little control over this goal/ambition/resolution but I absolutely love my calling. I feel like this is where I need to be... still. I was called in Feb of 09 and have loved every minute of it. I lie. I dislike setting up meals for the missionaries. Don't judge. It gets hard after the 3rd year! I can't imagine myself anywhere else but we'll see.

Have better family relationships- This one is going to be on my list forever and it's something I often pray for. My P. blessing tells me to never be a weak link in my family chain. I will continue to get to know my siblings and in laws to increase our relationship and always be there for them.

There you go. My goals are public and therefore very real. I welcome your encouragement on my hopes for the year 2013 and I would really love for you to just leave me a comment so I know someone read this! Usually I don't care who reads my blog but tonight I feel like I need some validation on my blog post. Thanks! I love you all!



5 comments:

Jason and Tiff said...

I read your blog and that says a lot cause I really don't check blogs often at all anymore. I miss you. I miss our ward! We should have a girls night out sometime with Camille. Jason and I wrote down our new goals a couple of nights ago. It feels good to start fresh! Love your cute little family!

McKeeth said...

This it's an awesome post. You are such a great example I am excited top see you reach your goals and be on some of them too!

Camille said...

I think it's perfectly normal to feel worried about your family (in regards to the no accidents goal). Especially right now when the kids are so young and not quite independent on the safety front. But remember that there are people on both sides watching out for them! This gives me comfort. And I agree with Tiffany...a girls night would be great! And maybe we should start up game nights again...

Liv said...

I hope you get your bathroom this year! I hate hate hate home improvement projects simply b/c they usually take me and my husband so long to complete.

I've always been thinking about getting ZUMBA certified but I'm still so intimidated by it. It's so different from what I'm used to!

Sara Waldron said...

I'm so impressed by all you have accomplished as well as your goals for this year. You motivated me to write down my goals as well!